Sunday, May 31, 2009

Week 7: Replace Faulty Outlet

Week 7: Replace faulty outlet
When we first moved in, we knew something wasn't quite right with the wiring on the house. Everytime I plugged in my hair straightener or my blow-dryer and turned it on, the lights would shut off in the bathroom and walk-in closet and the device I was holding would still be doing its thing. For those of you new to GFCI outlets, this is exactly the opposite of what is supposed to happen. The device is supposed to shut off immediately and not effect the lights.

For all we know, the house was wired incorrectly. My Hubby, superman that he is, took it upon himself to buy new outlets from Wallyworld ($12.96) and got down to replacing the outlets himself. He is not an electrician, but he is a determined man, and we all know that can mean that the man can do anything. :) He did a great job. He found that the wiring was incorrect, made the fix, and now we have a safe bathroom. So if I ever am clumsy enough to toss the hair dryer in the running sink when I am using it, I will not be killed. Good news for all! And as much as I would like to say that this would never happen.... you should see the cut I got today from making powdered lemonade... yes, I am a clutz :)

1 comment:

mylifeastina said...

Dont fall, just dont dry your hair! LOL. be careful. Way to go hubby!