Sunday, May 31, 2009

Week 6: Repaint the Shutters

Week 6: Repaint the Shutters


Shutters only have so long of a lifespan... like anything else. We figure these had been "red" for about 5-7 years. It was a burnt red, a rusty red and the color was fading fast. I had this bright idea that they needed refreshing. The color choice was long and tedious. Why Red, you ask? We knew it had to be red. Red is what gave our house attitude and it is what drew us in the first time we came around. I had Tyler hold samples up to the house and then my Mom came and I had her check it out as well. We settled on "Flag" from Valspar at Lowe's. It seemed like a nice muted color but it had just a tinge of brightness to make the house pop. Here is the outcome, old on the left, new on the right:


The new shutter color is very bright. It is more like a Rasberry color. We decided that it was just a bit too bright and went back to Lowe's. The guy looked at me like I was nuts. I told him I just wanted to darken the paint just a bit. He told me he woud ruin the paint trying, but if that is what I wanted, so be it. Well, we think it went ok. We will be putting the new color on soon and hope it will be just the perfect color for the shutters. They do look nice. Just a little too bright :) Hey, at least they aren't pink :)

No comments: